- Scenario: When you don't know what to expect this flick is very disorienting at first, because everything is new and barely ressembles anything you've seen before. It's done as a faux documentary that slowly mixes in more and more "live" footage. It is gripping, emotionally heavily loaded, even though the story starts a little bit pathetically, it is gritty, dirty, it has an incredible background setting, as well as a ton of action, and it is full of details. The tension builds up throughout the movie and never lets you go as you learn slowly what this is all about.
- Dialogs: Very realistic. The South African accent is sometimes difficult to understand, but it adds to the charged atmosphere.
- Characters: Even if you don't get to know them all, they all leave you with a nice deep impression including the shallower roles. The main character is amazingly well built psychologically.
- Actors: Great work on the part of everybody.
- Photography: The camera work and effects get you right in with the characters. The sets, decors and costumes are perfect.
- Sound: The music and score are strong and moving.
- Special effects: Perfection. They feel absolutely real. If "prawn" type aliens and technology landed on Earth, they would look and feel exactly like that.
- Synopsis & information: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1136608/
- Who is it for? Anyone who doesn't mind violence or sci-fi. It's a must.
This is director Neill Blomkamp's first feature length movie and it's a masterpiece.