- Scenario: The story itself is rather simple, what really makes it interesting is the extremely well played cranky cynical main character which you can't help but like. I also have to give much props to Sam Elliot for his singular performance in his small role. You'll laugh, you'll be touched, and even though much of it will feel like a drama, it's rather easy to process, and even satisfying at times as well as witty.
- Known actors: Lily Tomlin, Julia Garner, Marcia Gay Harden, John Cho and Sam Elliott.
- Visual & sound: Nice.
- Synopsis & information: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4270516/
- Who is it for? Those who like cranky or quirky characters and are looking for something funny in a realistic manner.
mercredi 30 septembre 2015
mardi 29 septembre 2015
- Scenario: Interesting and novel perspective, but I think his pre-internship life was a bit too perfect, which is often the case with Hollywood stories, and that there's a few lines of dialogs in her romantic life that are too cliché, especially toward the end. That being said, it's a lot of fun. Good acting and many laughs.
- Known actors: Anne Hathaway, Robert De Niro and Rene Russo.
- Visual & sound: Very slick, maybe even too much. The decors are unaffordable for any average New York citizen.
- Synopsis & information: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2361509/
- Who is it for? Anyone looking for something light and funny that's a bit different than the usual but comfortably close to Hollywood's cookie cutter standards.
mardi 22 septembre 2015
- Scenario: This sequel is, as far as I'm concerned, better than its predecessor (read my review of the first chapter here). That's rare in the film industry. I say this because the acting is better and the story more interesting. More over, the action is good and the entertainment value is nice. It is still full of stereotypes and predictable elements with a number of logical flaws that require to be overlooked, but it's getting somewhere. That being said, I anticipate a lousier third chapter.
- Known actors: Patricia Clarkson, Lili Taylor and Barry Pepper.
- Visual & sound: Solid.
- Synopsis & information: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4046784/
- Who is it for? Anyone looking for a sci-fi, zombie or apocalypse flick.
lundi 21 septembre 2015
- Scenario: A very interesting and detailed story with great ideas. Love the dialogs and the characters, great acting, flowing fast paced light action as well as nice twists and a delicious intrigue with the perfect ending. Lots of jokes mixed a bit of tight suspense that might give you a good fright the first time around. You'll want to see it again, just because it's such a solid movie.
- Known actors: Michael J. Fox, Jake Busey, Chi McBride, Troy Evans and R. Lee Ermey
- Visual & sound: At the time, they were perfect, now, the visual is getting a little old, but still nice.
- Synopsis & information: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116365/
- Who is it for? Anybody who doesn't mind a little fright. A must for fans of Fox, Jackson, Walsh or Elfman.
Excellent work by Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh and Danny Elfman. This is the flick that put Jackson and Walsh on the map, thanks to Robert Zemeckis.
jeudi 17 septembre 2015
- Scenario: It is totally adorable and very endearing. Just like in Chicken Run and Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit, the story details are great. This time, Nick Park only produced the movie, he wasn't involved in the screenplay, and it shows, because it is extremely linear and predictable. There are no dialogs per say and that threw me off, however, it's funny and well made.
- Known actors: None.
- Visual & sound: Excellent.
- Synopsis & information: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2872750/
- Who is it for? Excellent for the kids and the parent will like it too.
- Scenario: It's a bad collage of mildly interesting events and a few funny mishaps. It feels as if the actors weren't able to do the whole movie due to some limitations. The result is a barely entertaining piece.
- Known actors: Robert Redford, Nick Nolte, Emma Thompson, Mary Steenburgen and Nick Offerman.
- Visual & sound: Nice.
- Synopsis & information: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1178665/
- Who is it for? I'm not sure it's for anyone.
mercredi 16 septembre 2015
- Scenario: Very predictable, yet some twists were unexpected. The background story is well woven and the interactions between the kids are interesting, even they're overly simplistic at the beginning. The characters are simple and without any depth. Still, it's a nice distraction.
- Known actors: Sigourney Weaver, Shia LaBeouf, Patricia Arquette, Jon Voight, Tim Blake Nelson, Siobhan Fallon Hogan and Henry Winkler.
- Visual & sound: Acceptable, at times not so good especially for the lizards, but not to the point of being too distracting.
- Synopsis & information: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0311289/
- Who is it for? Those looking for something light and nice, something the whole family can watch.
mardi 15 septembre 2015
jeudi 10 septembre 2015
- Scenario: There's nothing particularly innovative about this movie and, a little bit past half way through it, it even gets predictable and somewhat downright boring. However, the secret is in the superb acting, as well as the details contained in the first half and, to a lesser extent, the ending.
- Known actors: Jack Nicholson, Morgan Freeman and Sean Hayes.
- Visual & sound: Good, however all the CG work to make the scenes look even more special are really annoying. I've seen the pyramids, the site is not that pristine, you can't climb them, it's full of tourist all the time, and that's just one scene.
- Synopsis & information: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0825232/
- Who is it for? Those wanting to shed a few tears in an uplifting kind of way and any Nicholson or Freeman fans.
samedi 5 septembre 2015
- Scenario: Yes, it's predictable in many ways, but the delivery is impeccable, the dialogs are witty, the setting is easy to enjoy, you'll laugh and you'll be entertained. Personally, if I'd been him, I would have totally branched out and never left that kid alone with those two sharks, major mistake. Anyway, I'm sure you'll enjoy.
- Known actors: Marisa Tomei, Hugh Grant, J.K. Simmons, Allison Janney, Bella Heathcote, Chris Elliott and Jason Antoon.
- Visual & sound: Very slick.
- Synopsis & information: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2509850/
- Who is it for? Anyone looking for a solid light witty comedy with a nice undercurrent of romance or any Grant fans.
vendredi 4 septembre 2015
- Scenario: The characters are incredibly well built and they all, are to their last drop, a fucking mess. The story, on the outside, is a smooth ride, even though the friendship between the main characters evolves in a flash. It's so quick, you might get a brain freeze. The dialogs are the main source of hilarity. What is said is so awkward, you could die, but instead you just find yourself laughing at the sheer cluelessness of those people. The discomfort I think stems from the realism. You know such people exist, but you'd just prefer not to acknowledge the fact. I think this movie is a parody hidden in a diatribe. It will surprise you, it will captivate you, it will make you wonder what you're doing watching this, but it will not leave you indifferent.
- Known actors: No big names.
- Visual & sound: Well done.
- Synopsis & information: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2872462/
- Who is it for? Those ready for some really uncomfortable ideas.
jeudi 3 septembre 2015
- Scenario: The trailer doesn't really reflect what this movie is. It starts with some characters you can only think of as pathetic, wannabes. It quickly gets sidetracked by some easy plot elements that could come right out of the head of any hack writer. However, what you don't know is that it's slowly building the real story leading to a great culmination. It's not really a music story, although music is its primary vector, or even a romantic story, it's a modern twist of the coming of age story. Nowadays, instead of growing up, we chew up what others want and regurgitate a semblance of success. We only grow up when we finally find who we really are. This is that story, and the ending is perfect.
- Known actors: Zac Efron, Emily Ratajkowski, Wes Bentley and Jon Bernthal.
- Visual & sound: Excellent visual and awesome track!
- Synopsis & information: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3787590/
- Who is it for? Those who don't like electronic music, should stay away, the rest shouldn't miss it.
mardi 1 septembre 2015
- Scenario: All real world sport Cinderella stories look a bit alike and this one doesn't escape that fact. However, it is full of nice details and excellent actors. The pacing is solid, the captivating story is touching and the end is extremely well handled.
- Known actors: Samuel L. Jackson, Rob Brown and Channing Tatum.
- Visual & sound: Very good.
- Synopsis & information: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0393162/
- Who is it for? Those in need of an inspiring movie based on real events or those looking for a good sport or basketball story.